Decembrists, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Jack White, Adele, Fleet Foxes, Ed Sheeran, Bob Dylan, White Stripes, The Beatles, Jack Johnson, Richard Thompson, and Joni Mitchell.
Rick Riordan won:
· The Shamus and Anthony Award in 1998 for Big Red Tequila
· The Edgar Award in 1999 for Best Paperback Original for The Widower’s Two-Step
· The Mark Twain Award in 2008 for The Lightning Thief
· The Mark Twain Award in 2009 for The Sea of Monsters
· The Rebecca Caudill Award in 2009 for The Lightning Thief
· The School Library Journal’s Best Book in 2010 for The Red Pyramid
· The Children’s Choice Book Awards: Author of the Year in 2011
· The Children’s Choice Book Awards: Fifth Grade to Sixth Grade Book of the Year in 2011 for The Red Pyramid
· The Wyoming Soaring Eagle Book Award in 2011 for The Last Olympian
· The Milner Award for Percy Jackson and the Olympians seriesin 2011
Rick Riordan is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the Kane Chronicles series, and the Heroes of Olympus series.
-Percy Jackson and the Olympians:
1) The Lightning Thief
2) The Sea of Monsters
3) The Titan’s Curse
4) The Battle of the Labyrinth
5) The Last Olympian
The Percy Jackson and Olympians series is set in the United States, and is based on Greek Mythology and focus on a demigod named Percy Jackson and his mission to stop the evil Titan Kronos from rising again. The five books are in Percy’s humourous and sarcastic point-of-view. The books also show how the characters grow throughout the series, deal with love and teenage trouble.
How Percy Jackson Came To Be:
Rick Riordan’s son, Haley, was in grade two at the time, and was learning about Greek myths. Haley is ADHD and dyslexic. One night Haley asked his dad to tell him a Greek myth. Rick Riordan did. After that, every night, Riordan told his son one Greek story. Soon, he ran out of them… so he made his own.
They were about this boy named Percy Jackson. 12 years old. Black hair and green eyes the colour of the ocean. He is a demigod- son of Poseidon, god of earthquakes, bodies of water, and water storms. He is ADHD and dyslexic just like Haley. He doesn’t know that he is a demigod… until now. Quickly Percy Jackson learns that the Greek gods are still around and that he has to save a huge war from starting between his father and Zeus, god of the gods. Suddenly Percy finds himself on a quest with a girl, Annabeth, and a satyr, Grover, across America to recover Zeus’s master lightning bolt before time runs out.
“Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.”
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”
“People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a person, he can’t be fixed.”
“With great power… comes great need to take a nap.”
“You are not dead! I like it when you are not dead!”
“Go on what with your heart tells you, or you will lose all”
“Fairness means everyone gets what they need. And the only way to get what you need is to make it happen yourself.”
“It’s hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.”
“ Well … sure good to be together again. Arguing. Almost dying. Abject terror. Oh, look. It’s our floor. ”